Santa Ana Story Ideas
Need story inspiration? Peruse the following story teasers below, and let us know if something piques your interest. Santa Ana has many stories to tell, and we’re happy to assist with developing yours.
Tacos! Tacos! And more Tacos! A Love Letter to Santa Ana’s Favorite Food Group
Loved by locals and visitors alike, tacos are not just for Tuesdays anymore. Santa Ana is home to the most sought-after and followed taquerias in all of Orange County. From al pastor to birria to baja fish – serves the best tacos than any other place in the whole county.
- El Yaqui Tacos y Mariscos is where the seafood taco is the highlight. Be sure to squeeze a lime over the house special perrón taco, filled with plump shrimp and crispy fish chicharrón.
- La Super Birria might be the most reviewed birria spot in O.C., but all those words are backed up with some serious game. There’s nothing more satisfying than dipping its hand-made tortilla birria tacos in a flavorful consomé. Instagram: @super_birria
- Perla Mexican Cuisine bursts with character in a gorgeous historic building where the women-owned restaurant offers tasty street tacos and spicy margaritas.
Santa Ana: The Ultimate OC Cultural Destination
Submerge yourself in the unique culture of Santa Ana by planning a visit to experience the wide range of cultural experiences the city has to offer. Visitors in search of a deeper and more meaningful connection to their vacation destination, Santa Ana offers educational and cultural experiences that entertain while offering you an opportunity to learn something new.
- Santa Ana Artwalk (every first Saturday): Visit 20+ art galleries and studios displaying work from the city’s finest creators throughout downtown Santa Ana.
- Bowers Museum: Opened in 1936, focuses on how art influences cultures around the world. Permanent exhibits include art and artifacts from California, the Pacific Islands, Mexico, China, and more!
- The Frida Cinema: Named after Frida Kahlo, this nonprofit vintage arthouse’s eclectic offerings change by the month and season; a typical week at the Frida can include showings of cult classics, film festival darlings, local projects, director talks, and film-themed events.
Road Trippin’ and Visitin’ Santa Ana: Must-See Spots
Time to fuel up and stretch your legs? Make sure to schedule a stop in Santa Ana during your California road trip. Whether you have an hour or a few days, Santa Ana’s colorful murals and art, vast array of flavors of authentic cuisine, traditional and modern music scene, or exciting famed festivals are waiting on your stop to explore and enjoy.
- EAT at 4th Street Market. One-part innovative culinary incubator and one part food hall, the space hosts new restaurant concepts where there’s always something new to taste.
- TAKE a photo at the epically cool Suavecito’s Headquarters on 1st Street, where the whole store is Instagrammable. And while you’re at it, check out what has made Suavecito a cultural phenomenon associated with the classic pompadour of the rockabilly scene.
- WATCH a performance at The Wayward Artist. The non-profit performing arts center invites guests to experience edgy and innovative musical theatre, plays, and dance performances that amplify and empower BIPOC artists.
- VISIT the Santa Ana Zoo. Featuring animals and plants of Central and South America, the beloved zoo is home to over a dozen species of primates, birds, felines, amphibians, horses, camels, cows, chickens, and more.
The Most Diverse Art Scene in Orange County
Art is everywhere in Orange County. And Santa Ana is no different, with every corner of the city boasting a vibrant art scene. So, what makes Santa Ana different from the other art centric O.C. cities? It’s Santa Ana’s dedication to edgy and eclectic work. Museums and galleries alike spotlight BIPOC and LGBTQ artists and represent a wide range of artistic styles, from avant-garde performance art to more traditional fine art. Some of the standouts in a sea of standouts include:
- AvantGarden the Art Gallery: A wide array of art, from oil paintings and sculpture to art photography, glassware, and jewelry, line the walls at this North Broadway gallery.
- Crear Studio: Originally opened in the basement of the Grand Central Arts Center, this studio aims to spotlight local artists of color. Instagram: @crearstudio
- Grand Central Art Center: Cal State Fullerton’s College of the Arts in partnership with the City of Santa Ana runs this gallery featuring contemporary and socially relevant artwork, installations, and performances.
- Orange County Center for Contemporary Art: One of the first galleries to open when downtown Santa Ana was revitalized in the 1990s, this space hosts solo exhibits, as well as group shows built around themes like car culture, music, and architecture in art.